Do you know you can charge your 13″ MacBook Pro with a MacBook 13″ apple magsafe power adapter? Would an MBP 15″ charger work on a 13″? How about the 11″ MacBook Air charger for the 13″ MacBook Pro? You can often interchange power chargers, which means your old white MagSafe charger will work fine on your new 2010 MacBook Pro 13″. Don’t throw away your old MagSafe charger if you just upgraded to a new MacBook.
Before you plug in a MagSafe charger, check the voltage and wattage on the side of the charger. MagSafe chargers with less wattage won’t work on MacBook Pros.
85W MagSafe charger for a MacBook Pro 13
If you can, you should use a power charger that matches your MacBook/Pro’s wattage, but Apple says you can use a MagSafe charger that has a higher wattage without issue; meaning you can use an 85W MagSafe charger for a MacBook Pro 13″ even though its charger is 60W. However, you can’t use a lower wattage charger on something that requires a higher wattage (even if it works to power the machine, but not to charge the battery).
You can use an older MagSafe charger on a new MacBook, so if you have one lying around, use it. This was especially awesome to me since I have a few old MagSafe chargers on my couch and desk so I can use my MacBook Pro when the lid is closed as a desktop computer. It’ll charge any 13-inch MacBook or MacBook Pro with the new Apple MagSafe 60W Power Charger.
Unlike the older MacBook MagSafe chargers, the new MagSafe charger doesn’t come off as easily as the older ones. As a result, the MagSafe charger doesn’t offer as much protection as it would otherwise. I’ve tripped over power cords several times in the past, and the MagSafe’s magnetic attachment saved us from disaster. It’s harder to pull away the new MagSafe charger; I’m not sure if the magnet is stronger because it sits snug in the outlet.
The MagSafe charger has changed in later releases, so there are some notable exceptions. These older MagSafe chargers can be used with new Macs, or you can use a secondary MagSafe charger converter unit.
- A magnetic DC connector means that if someone trips over the 85W MagSafe 2 Power Charger, the cord will disconnect harmlessly and your MacBook Pro will stay put.
- Additionally, it keeps the cables from fraying or weakening. As well as guiding the plug into the system, the magnetic DC keeps it tight.
- An amber light indicates that the notebook is charging, while a green light means full power. At the top of the DC connector, an LED lights up when the connection is secure.
- The charger comes with an AC cord for maximum cord length, and the AC wall charger (also included) makes travelling even easier.
- This charging cable is designed to wind neatly around itself so it can be easily stored when you’re not using it.
- This charger recharges the lithium polymer battery when the system is on or off. It can also power the system if you don’t want a battery.